Skip to main content

2013 New Year resolution accomplished

It's hard to believe that I've been an Alaskan resident for a week now as I recall the events of the last 4 months: graduating from nursing school, passing the state board exam to be registered as a nurse, turning 25, landing my first nursing job, and leaving Phoenix to live in Anchorage (near Cory who has 2 1/2 years left at Elmendorf Air Force Base. It's a thrilling endeavor living outside of Arizona for the first time, although so many changes all at once are a little overwhelming, to say the least. New city, new address, new roommate, new career, new car, new relationship phase...it's a lot take in. The climate alone is drastically different than the dessert that I've grown up in, but luckily this "summer" weather (60s and 70s) has been pleasant to adjust to. I had a small taste of winters to come when I was here in April when it got as low as 5 degrees, which I know is just the tip of the iceberg (pun intended), so I will soak up these 20+ hour sunlit days while I can.

I'm not much of writer, and I've never consistently stuck with a journal before (since I've always preferred to verbalize my thoughts), but I decided that blogging (another first for me) would be a great way to document my adventures and experiences and share them with my friends and family who live so far away. And  I can track my journey and have something to look back on when this season of life ends. Plus, it'll give me something to do with my extra free time when I'm bored. So...here is my first blog post!

I am one blessed girl to have had both of my parents fly up here with me and help me settle in the first week. This is us in front of my new home where I'm renting a room from Debbie who I met through my dear friend Becky in Phoenix (her sister). One of the countless God sends during this transition!

Finding my car, on the other hand, was not so simple. Once I realized that leasing a brand new vehicle was too expensive, we spent 4 days searching dealerships and Craig's List near and far for an affordable and dependable SUV that will carry me safely through snow (another new experience for me). 20-something test drives later, we found this 2005 Subaru Legacy Outback on Craig's List just a few blocks from my house. It's not the stylish SUV I wanted, but I've been told that Subarus are practically foolproof for this terrain. It's been very well maintained by the original owner who is a pleasant and friendly woman who just retired and is moving out of state with her husband. We saw her had just a few hours after she posted it. Perfect fit. Another God send.

I will resist my tendency to ramble (too late) and end my first post here with a hopeful and anxious heart as I prepare for my first day of orientation as a nurse tomorrow!!! A huge adventure in itself! I can't wait to share the highs and lows of what this career will bring and how I will make my mark at St. Elias Specialty Hospital as a brand-new RN. Until then, to whoever actually follows this blog of mine, God bless!

Cathy

Comments

  1. i'll be reading cathy! :) it's cool that you want to keep everybody back at home informed and updated on your new adventure :) i'm so very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Alaska Bear! So happy to see your blog and anxious to read on! Missing you already here in AZ and I love the Subbie! You will get SO much use out of it I promise. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck tomorrow! You will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Cathy you have a blog! How cool. You just won some major points in my book! Glad things are going well, and hope Cory is doing great. Keep up the great posts :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Snow: Check!

It happened. It snowed. It snowed back in Aril when I was just visiting, but this was the real thing where it stuck all over the trees and cars and ground. September 23rd, first snow of the season, and I lived! Plus, it had melted by the next day. The mountains are GORGEOUS though! After that random bout of winter, fall took over. It doesn't get warmer than 50, the leaves are changing color and falling, and it's raining more often than not. I'm not gonna lie...I've really been enjoying my new stylish coats and drinking chai tea lattes on a regular basis. Cory and I took a short drive to Birchwood where we explored Beach Lake and caught these views... If only this season would last longer than a month. The freezing cold (aka the age of darkness) is on it's way, but I'm doing my best to take in my surroundings now without dwelling so much on what's to come. I still find myself stopping now and then thinking "Holy crap, I actually live he

Happy Times

There isn't anything major to report since I last posted, but lots of little victories and happy moments have added up to lots of positivity! Work always comes with some level of stress, but I can safely say that I finally feel like a real nurse on a regular basis, and I can almost always walk away at the end of the night feeling proud of my work! I've gained more confidence facing tasks like drawing blood and inserting catheters (I never said it was glamorous), I finish my charting before the end of the shift 90% of the time (and anything left over doesn't take very long), and I even oriented a new employee! She's been a nurse for 2 years, so she actually taught me more than I taught her, but I was glad that the manager trusted me to show her the ropes. I've also been told multiple times from my coworkers that they would never guess that I'm a new nurse and they're impressed by how quickly I learn and how well I fit in. Multiple patients have told me how