Skip to main content

10 months later...

I'm a little ashamed for neglecting this blog for so long. The old title "North to the Future" was the state motto of Alaska, and I started it in the first place because I moved there. I wasn't sure that living in northern Illinois would be as interesting to write (or read) about. Then I got caught up in the notion that very few people would care about what I write anyway let alone read it. I don't have any interesting skills or hobbies to share. I'm not experiencing anything really unique or embarking on a grand adventure. I don't have any profound insights or opinions that will break the internet. Recently, however, I've realized that I just miss writing. Even if this ends up simply as a journal of my random ramblings and summaries of life events, I want to continue telling my story. I'll try not to put too much pressure on myself. I know at least my mom will keep reading it. :)

So...

In my last post 10 months ago, Cory and I were preparing to leave Alaska for our new home in South Beloit, Illinois. Well, we left! It felt so surreal and took a long time to sink in that it wasn't our home anymore. We've been in IL for 7 months now, but I still catch myself sometimes looking up at night hoping to see northern nights. Or keeping an eye out for moose when I'm in a wooded area. Or expecting to see the silhouette of mountains in the distance. Oh how I miss those mountain views. And reindeer dogs. Also super long summer days, the smell of pine everywhere, northern lights, Moose's Tooth pizza, Beluga Point, being able to say "I live in Alaska" (because, come on, that's pretty bad ass), and so much more.

Still, not very many people can say they've lived there. It's fun to see people's reactions when I tell them. I get a lot of questions about how cold it gets, how dark/light it gets, if it's anything like all those reality shows about Alaska (which I've never seen), but the question I get asked the most is the new title of this blog: "How did you end up here?" I've lost count of how many times I've explained my journey from Phoenix to South Beloit (often including how Cory and I met since we're from different states), but I don't mind. I find it interesting how different the population is here. In Alaska, there are plenty of natives and people who grew up there, but it's such a melting pot. I met people from all over the world. Here in the Midwest, the majority of people I've met grew up here or close to here. Families have such deep roots in the area for multiple generations. The history is pretty cool.

Along with location, there have been plenty of other changes since my last post. One of the biggest has been my career. I'm still very much a nurse, but I'm finally doing what I've always wanted to do. I'm at hospital in Janesville, Wisconsin (only 20 minutes from home) on the mother/baby unit! We do all of labor, delivery, and postpartum on our floor (I'm a night-shifter again), so it's been a vast and intense learning experience. As much as I love it, it's really hard feeling like a new grad again. I've been there for 6 months now and I've grown a ton, but I still feel underqualified much of the time and I doubt myself a lot. Thankfully, my coworkers are outstanding! I had designated preceptors during orientation, but every one of them has been patient and willing to teach me. They all reassure me that I'm doing well (even when I don't feel like I am) and that it takes a few years to feel fully comfortable in this field. Still, I want my patients to be comfortable in my care. Such is nursing. It's just more nerve-racking when tiny humans are involved! They're my favorite part though. :) I really miss my coworkers from St. Elias (and feeling comfortable in my craft), but I do NOT miss med-surg nursing! I really feel like I'm where I belong.

One of the best things about living here is being near family. We live within 15 minutes of both sides of Cory's family which has been such a blessing. I love being able to get to know everyone better and being present for holidays and get-togethers. It's also comforting to be closer to Arizona! I've visited home twice already, and I'm going back next week for a sisters' weekend. They originally planned to visit here, but (long story short) we had to change plans last minute, so I'm coming to them instead. We want to take advantage of this season to spend some quality time as just the 4 of us because Laura will be having her 3rd baby in September and Julie will be having her 1st (girl!) in October! There's nothing I love more than new babies in the family! I'm a happy Aunt Tata! (That's what Elouise calls me. And Cory is Uncle Toto haha)

Well, I'll try my best to follow through when I say I won't wait so long to write my next post. And hopefully I'll come up with something truly gripping and insightful. And maybe some elaborate pictures too. Or I'll just tell you what I'm up to. Who knows. In the meantime, here's the last picture Cory and I took together in Alaska...

And here's a family picture we took a few months ago with Melissa in our new home. :)

Oh yeah! We celebrated our first anniversary 5 months ago! We spent the weekend in Chicago having a grand time together.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Snow: Check!

It happened. It snowed. It snowed back in Aril when I was just visiting, but this was the real thing where it stuck all over the trees and cars and ground. September 23rd, first snow of the season, and I lived! Plus, it had melted by the next day. The mountains are GORGEOUS though! After that random bout of winter, fall took over. It doesn't get warmer than 50, the leaves are changing color and falling, and it's raining more often than not. I'm not gonna lie...I've really been enjoying my new stylish coats and drinking chai tea lattes on a regular basis. Cory and I took a short drive to Birchwood where we explored Beach Lake and caught these views... If only this season would last longer than a month. The freezing cold (aka the age of darkness) is on it's way, but I'm doing my best to take in my surroundings now without dwelling so much on what's to come. I still find myself stopping now and then thinking "Holy crap, I actually live he

2013 New Year resolution accomplished

It's hard to believe that I've been an Alaskan resident for a week now as I recall the events of the last 4 months: graduating from nursing school, passing the state board exam to be registered as a nurse, turning 25, landing my first nursing job, and leaving Phoenix to live in Anchorage (near Cory who has 2 1/2 years left at Elmendorf Air Force Base. It's a thrilling endeavor living outside of Arizona for the first time, although so many changes all at once are a little overwhelming, to say the least. New city, new address, new roommate, new career, new car, new relationship phase...it's a lot take in. The climate alone is drastically different than the dessert that I've grown up in, but luckily this "summer" weather (60s and 70s) has been pleasant to adjust to. I had a small taste of winters to come when I was here in April when it got as low as 5 degrees, which I know is just the tip of the iceberg (pun intended), so I will soak up these 20+ hour sunlit

Happy Times

There isn't anything major to report since I last posted, but lots of little victories and happy moments have added up to lots of positivity! Work always comes with some level of stress, but I can safely say that I finally feel like a real nurse on a regular basis, and I can almost always walk away at the end of the night feeling proud of my work! I've gained more confidence facing tasks like drawing blood and inserting catheters (I never said it was glamorous), I finish my charting before the end of the shift 90% of the time (and anything left over doesn't take very long), and I even oriented a new employee! She's been a nurse for 2 years, so she actually taught me more than I taught her, but I was glad that the manager trusted me to show her the ropes. I've also been told multiple times from my coworkers that they would never guess that I'm a new nurse and they're impressed by how quickly I learn and how well I fit in. Multiple patients have told me how