Skip to main content

Oh Happy Day :)

I've been an Evans for almost 2 months now, and I must say, marriage really is the greatest :) Sure, we're still in the honeymoon phase and all, but I won't be taking any of this marital bliss for granted!

 
The wedding day was exactly what I had pictured at The Hearn House - a family-owned historical home in the suburbs of central Phoenix on February 7th. Warm, sunny, green, relaxed, romantic, sentimental, fun...all of that surrounded by so many of the people we love most. Any mishaps that happened were unbeknownst to Cory and me. The team of friends and professionals that constructed the event exceeded our expectations far beyond what could have hoped for.

My parents met Ron and Tricia Di Nello when I was a newborn. I can't remember a major family event that they weren't a part of. They have blessed our family abundantly over the years. Cory and I were honored to have them as mentors in preparation for marriage, and Ron officiated the ceremony. We are so grateful to have them as advocates for our marriage!

Our bridal party (lots of 'em!)

Maid of Honor - My little sister Joanna
This sister of mine is reserved and quiet, but she has the biggest heart and deepest love for family. She completed the Mills family of 6 and made me a proud big sister. I have loved being her protector growing up, but even more, I love watching her confidence and independence bloom. It was truly an honor having her as my right-hand lady!

Laura - My second big sister
My twin :) We are so alike and so different at the same time. We shared a bedroom for most of our lives and bonded over music and singing. I was "Baby Mills" in high school choir, and I loved it. I got to stand with her on her wedding day, and I was thrilled to have her do the same for me! And she gave me 2 perfect nieces to boot!

Julie - My oldest sister
I've had the privilege of experiencing so much along side this sister. We lived together in Tucson as U of A Wildcats for 3 years. We met our future husbands within a few months of each other, got engaged 4 months apart, and I was a bridesmaid in her wedding 4 months before she was in mine! I love that we got to be brides together, and I can't wait to experience so much more with her as wives.

Rachel
We met when we were 4 and 5 when her father Chuck (who played the piano so beautifully for our ceremony, I cried.) taught piano to my big sisters. The sleepovers and movie nights and pounds of chocolate eaten with one another are countless. I'm sure she has more blackmail on me than anyone else. We've seen the best and the worst of each other and everything in between, and I couldn't love her more.

Diana
This is my Snuggie! She's been by my side from 6th grade on up including living together for 4 years at U of A pursuing our shared dream of becoming nurses. There's no way I could have survived any of it without her humor, support, encouragement, and all-around awesomeness. She was with me the night I met Cory, and I was with her the night she met her now fiancĂ©. She gets to do this next!

Kristina
For many years, she was Diana's little sister. Now, she's my Little One. She completed the sisterhood of 4 rooming together in Tucson. I lost count of how many nights we spent in each other's rooms divulging every life detail till 3am. Now from the complete opposite end of the country (Alaska to Florida!), I value whatever talks we get to have and this irreplaceable friendship even more!

Lacy
We met in 8th grade choir and bonded in 9th grade through the survival of theater class. We had way too much fun sharing the stage all those years and goofing off any chance we could. Those chances now are few and far between since she is courageously living her dream in Nashville, but this faithful friend continues to bless my life in so many ways!

Flower girls - Brynley and Elouise - My precious nieces. Sweet 5-month-old Ellie was asleep the whole time 3-year-old Bryn pushed her in the wagon and stole the spotlight. It was her 2nd time in this role, and she knew just how to toss those petals!

I can't speak as much for the groomsmen since, obviously, I don't know them nearly as well as my ladies. But as such vital people in Cory's life, they mean the world to me. He too values long-lasting friendships, and he has had these friends for 5-10 years. His brother Zach has treated me as family from the very start, and these other men have been just as welcoming. Cory and I are very blessed to have all of them in our corner.

Now THIS lady...What would we have done without Chris? As a dear family friend and my parents' backdoor neighbor, she took all of our ideas and visions and coordinated them into existence. She was our rock and voice of reason through this whole ordeal, and she went above and beyond using her talents to make our day as beautiful as possible. We are forever grateful!

I must point out a few other gems from this day. My something old and borrowed was this bouquet pin that belongs to Laura. Our grandmother gave it to her for her wedding day as she was the first of her granddaughters to get married. Each one of us has since incorporated it into our bridal accessories. Such a treasure.

My favorite accessory was my veil. When I was shopping for one, I had no idea how much it would cost to get what I really wanted - a cathedral length with lace and beaded embellishments. After searching allover, I was ready to compromise for practicality. My mother, however, wasn't ready to give up. She bought a plain veil and lace trim separately, and with the help of her dear friend Lori and her sisters Cindy and Brenda (love you, Aunties!), she spent numerous hours hand sewing on the lace and embellishments giving me a one-of-a-kind veil that was even more beautiful than I envisioned. I cannot wait to share this one as and heirloom!

I'm sure I could write a novel about how wonderful this day was and every person who made it so. It's taken me a few days just to get this out and whittle down the details to a "reasonable" length. I love reminiscing about this day, but I love being married to my husband even more. I've learned so much about him and even more about myself in these few months. Even when it's not glamorous, it's the greatest earthly gift I've ever received.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Snow: Check!

It happened. It snowed. It snowed back in Aril when I was just visiting, but this was the real thing where it stuck all over the trees and cars and ground. September 23rd, first snow of the season, and I lived! Plus, it had melted by the next day. The mountains are GORGEOUS though! After that random bout of winter, fall took over. It doesn't get warmer than 50, the leaves are changing color and falling, and it's raining more often than not. I'm not gonna lie...I've really been enjoying my new stylish coats and drinking chai tea lattes on a regular basis. Cory and I took a short drive to Birchwood where we explored Beach Lake and caught these views... If only this season would last longer than a month. The freezing cold (aka the age of darkness) is on it's way, but I'm doing my best to take in my surroundings now without dwelling so much on what's to come. I still find myself stopping now and then thinking "Holy crap, I actually live he

2013 New Year resolution accomplished

It's hard to believe that I've been an Alaskan resident for a week now as I recall the events of the last 4 months: graduating from nursing school, passing the state board exam to be registered as a nurse, turning 25, landing my first nursing job, and leaving Phoenix to live in Anchorage (near Cory who has 2 1/2 years left at Elmendorf Air Force Base. It's a thrilling endeavor living outside of Arizona for the first time, although so many changes all at once are a little overwhelming, to say the least. New city, new address, new roommate, new career, new car, new relationship phase...it's a lot take in. The climate alone is drastically different than the dessert that I've grown up in, but luckily this "summer" weather (60s and 70s) has been pleasant to adjust to. I had a small taste of winters to come when I was here in April when it got as low as 5 degrees, which I know is just the tip of the iceberg (pun intended), so I will soak up these 20+ hour sunlit

Happy Times

There isn't anything major to report since I last posted, but lots of little victories and happy moments have added up to lots of positivity! Work always comes with some level of stress, but I can safely say that I finally feel like a real nurse on a regular basis, and I can almost always walk away at the end of the night feeling proud of my work! I've gained more confidence facing tasks like drawing blood and inserting catheters (I never said it was glamorous), I finish my charting before the end of the shift 90% of the time (and anything left over doesn't take very long), and I even oriented a new employee! She's been a nurse for 2 years, so she actually taught me more than I taught her, but I was glad that the manager trusted me to show her the ropes. I've also been told multiple times from my coworkers that they would never guess that I'm a new nurse and they're impressed by how quickly I learn and how well I fit in. Multiple patients have told me how