Skip to main content

He liked it and put a ring on it :)

An unexpected twist made mine and Cory's Illinois trip my favorite vacation of all time.

And now it's time for me to be girly and gushy.

We left Anchorage for Cory's hometown of Roscoe, IL on our 2nd anniversary of getting back together. We had decided not to exchange gifts and just celebrate by spending a day in Chicago during the week. I had taken a trip there with my family back in 2011 when Cory and I had just started talking, so I couldn't wait spend a day in one of my favorite cities with him.
My sisters and me in June 2011 in the same spot Cory and I would stand almost 3 years later.

We spent Easter weekend with his families and friends (most of who I met for the first time). I instantly felt welcomed as part of the family and loved getting to know everyone who Cory grew up with and cares so much about. I was hoping some of them would be able to join us in Chigago, but Cory was pretty adamant about having the day to ourselves. Go figure.

We started our Chicago day pretty early and planned on playing the day by ear. After some food and pictures and Millennium Park, Cory suggested we walk to Navy Pier since it was one of my favorite spots. We walked through the mini-mall and the greenhouse, took pictures, and decided to walk around the pier. Cory seemed pretty unsettled about all of the construction going on (now I know why), but other than that, he was completely cool and collected. I honestly didn't suspect a thing.







We got to the very end of the pier to enjoy the view and take pictures. I stood next to Cory as he stopped to read the plaque on the anchor statue. No one else was around. He turned to me and said "I'm really happy, Cathy." I smiled and said "Me too." A frequent exchange between us. Then he said "Do you want to be happier?" I was puzzled for a second and didn't have a chance to respond before he reached for his coat pocket. All I could think was "Wait a minute, there's no way..." Sure enough, he pulled out a box, got down on one knee, took my hand, and said "Will you marry me?"

I stared at the open ring box in shock waiting for my brain to catch up to what my eyes and ears had just witnessed. Of course, I finally said "Yes!" But I'm pretty sure it came out more like a question. When he stood up and hugged me, all I could say was "Is this for real?" He laughed and kissed me and took out the ring to place on my hand. "We're engaged?!" It happened so fast, I couldn't wrap my head around it!
 






We spent the next hour or so calling our families, all who already knew this was going down. We excitedly brainstormed about wedding plans as we went shopping, got Chicago dogs, explored the Shed Aquarium, and had a romantic, elegant dinner at the Signature Room on the 95th floor of the John Hancock building (another one of my favorite places). I would not have changed a single thing about that day.

We had a spectacular view of Navy Pier from our table!


I was on cloud 9 the rest of the week celebrating with Cory's family and enjoying the rest of our vacation. I was so impressed that not a single person in my family or his had dropped any hints about what Cory was planning! He had sworn multiple people to secrecy since January. Sure, I had ideas in my head about how he might propose in Chicago. Like I had before on my birthday. Or out to dinner in Anchorage. Or later during the summer on a scenic hike. I could have fantasized all day about possibilities, but I had made the conscious decision to enjoy every moment for what it was without building up hopeful expectations that put unnecessary pressure on Cory. I wasn't expecting a thing, and I was truly happy with the way things were.

Then just like that, he made me even happier. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Snow: Check!

It happened. It snowed. It snowed back in Aril when I was just visiting, but this was the real thing where it stuck all over the trees and cars and ground. September 23rd, first snow of the season, and I lived! Plus, it had melted by the next day. The mountains are GORGEOUS though! After that random bout of winter, fall took over. It doesn't get warmer than 50, the leaves are changing color and falling, and it's raining more often than not. I'm not gonna lie...I've really been enjoying my new stylish coats and drinking chai tea lattes on a regular basis. Cory and I took a short drive to Birchwood where we explored Beach Lake and caught these views... If only this season would last longer than a month. The freezing cold (aka the age of darkness) is on it's way, but I'm doing my best to take in my surroundings now without dwelling so much on what's to come. I still find myself stopping now and then thinking "Holy crap, I actually live he

2013 New Year resolution accomplished

It's hard to believe that I've been an Alaskan resident for a week now as I recall the events of the last 4 months: graduating from nursing school, passing the state board exam to be registered as a nurse, turning 25, landing my first nursing job, and leaving Phoenix to live in Anchorage (near Cory who has 2 1/2 years left at Elmendorf Air Force Base. It's a thrilling endeavor living outside of Arizona for the first time, although so many changes all at once are a little overwhelming, to say the least. New city, new address, new roommate, new career, new car, new relationship phase...it's a lot take in. The climate alone is drastically different than the dessert that I've grown up in, but luckily this "summer" weather (60s and 70s) has been pleasant to adjust to. I had a small taste of winters to come when I was here in April when it got as low as 5 degrees, which I know is just the tip of the iceberg (pun intended), so I will soak up these 20+ hour sunlit

Happy Times

There isn't anything major to report since I last posted, but lots of little victories and happy moments have added up to lots of positivity! Work always comes with some level of stress, but I can safely say that I finally feel like a real nurse on a regular basis, and I can almost always walk away at the end of the night feeling proud of my work! I've gained more confidence facing tasks like drawing blood and inserting catheters (I never said it was glamorous), I finish my charting before the end of the shift 90% of the time (and anything left over doesn't take very long), and I even oriented a new employee! She's been a nurse for 2 years, so she actually taught me more than I taught her, but I was glad that the manager trusted me to show her the ropes. I've also been told multiple times from my coworkers that they would never guess that I'm a new nurse and they're impressed by how quickly I learn and how well I fit in. Multiple patients have told me how