Skip to main content

Highs > Lows

It's been a busy 2 weeks since I've posted! Especially with Joanna coming to visit!!! We had such a fun and refreshing week together that flew by too quickly. We got to do a lot of fun activities, but we made sure to spend quality lazy time together just hanging out and watching TV/movies that we miss out on now. On top of that, we hiked in town, visited the zoo, took a cruise tour to view Portage Glacier, hiked to Exit Glacier in Seward (about 2 miles south of Anchorage), explored downtown, went horseback riding, went shopping, and biked along the coast, downtown, and around the neighborhood trails (where we saw a beaver!). Such a blast!








We took a lot more pictures on my phone and her camera, so we'll have to just get those onto Facebook. Needless to say, I hated sending her back! I was really tempted to look into a last minute flight to visit home for a few days to see everyone else including my uncles and cousins who are visiting, but that would have been really difficult to pull off, especially around work.

Work.

That's all it feels like right now. It was so nice to have a week off when Jo was here (I didn't even have to request it! That's just how they scheduled me!), but the transition back on was harder than I expected. I've gotten pretty comfortable on the 2 units upstairs where I've been for 2 weeks with patients who are mostly stable and routine (basically med/surg). Downstairs, there's an intensive care unit (which thankfully I have not been placed on yet. Way not ready.) and a "high acuity" unit where the patients are not quite as sick but they still need a lot of attention. This week, I spent the first 2 nights with a preceptor on the high acuity unit with 4 very difficult patients. I feel like I only did about half the work both nights and still had a hard time keeping up. This made me extra nervous for the third night...my first shift on my own.

I was told beforehand that my patient load would be lighter and easier, but that didn't happen. I still had 4 patients, 2 of them new to me and just as difficult as the ones before. I hit the ground running when an aid told me right away that one patient had just choked on a banana and another's oxygen level was dropping. Things eventually leveled out, but I was never able to catch up. There was a resource nurse to help pick out some slack, but even then I never got everything done. Plus, a patient who I had the previous 2 nights (and 4 other earlier shifts) passed away during the night. It was expected and he wasn't under my care at the time, but I was too busy to say goodbye to him or to even think about it very much. I stayed an extra 2.5 hours charting and explaining everything to the day nurses who were very understanding, and I know that even experienced nurses have a hard time with these patients, but I was completely spent.

I was near tears of relief when I finally went home at 10am (making it a 15 hour shift), but thankfully it was the start of my 3 day weekend and I decided that I would just stay up and hang out with Cory at his place. I thought I was okay until about 1pm when I randomly started crying and couldn't stop. Cory let me completely unload while he comforted me and got me to laugh and made me take a nap. He was exactly what I needed. It's times like these when I am blown away by God's faithfulness, and I couldn't ask for anyone better to remind me of that and take care of me. It's easy to love this guy :)

So, even though I reached my breaking point this week (and I reeeaaally don't wanna go back to work tomorrow night), I am thankful to be doing so well up here and for so many people who love and encourage me!

Comments

  1. Keep trucking Miss Cathy! It's always an adjustment period at an new job once the initial excitement wears off and your job is tougher than most! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Snow: Check!

It happened. It snowed. It snowed back in Aril when I was just visiting, but this was the real thing where it stuck all over the trees and cars and ground. September 23rd, first snow of the season, and I lived! Plus, it had melted by the next day. The mountains are GORGEOUS though! After that random bout of winter, fall took over. It doesn't get warmer than 50, the leaves are changing color and falling, and it's raining more often than not. I'm not gonna lie...I've really been enjoying my new stylish coats and drinking chai tea lattes on a regular basis. Cory and I took a short drive to Birchwood where we explored Beach Lake and caught these views... If only this season would last longer than a month. The freezing cold (aka the age of darkness) is on it's way, but I'm doing my best to take in my surroundings now without dwelling so much on what's to come. I still find myself stopping now and then thinking "Holy crap, I actually live he

2013 New Year resolution accomplished

It's hard to believe that I've been an Alaskan resident for a week now as I recall the events of the last 4 months: graduating from nursing school, passing the state board exam to be registered as a nurse, turning 25, landing my first nursing job, and leaving Phoenix to live in Anchorage (near Cory who has 2 1/2 years left at Elmendorf Air Force Base. It's a thrilling endeavor living outside of Arizona for the first time, although so many changes all at once are a little overwhelming, to say the least. New city, new address, new roommate, new career, new car, new relationship phase...it's a lot take in. The climate alone is drastically different than the dessert that I've grown up in, but luckily this "summer" weather (60s and 70s) has been pleasant to adjust to. I had a small taste of winters to come when I was here in April when it got as low as 5 degrees, which I know is just the tip of the iceberg (pun intended), so I will soak up these 20+ hour sunlit

Happy Times

There isn't anything major to report since I last posted, but lots of little victories and happy moments have added up to lots of positivity! Work always comes with some level of stress, but I can safely say that I finally feel like a real nurse on a regular basis, and I can almost always walk away at the end of the night feeling proud of my work! I've gained more confidence facing tasks like drawing blood and inserting catheters (I never said it was glamorous), I finish my charting before the end of the shift 90% of the time (and anything left over doesn't take very long), and I even oriented a new employee! She's been a nurse for 2 years, so she actually taught me more than I taught her, but I was glad that the manager trusted me to show her the ropes. I've also been told multiple times from my coworkers that they would never guess that I'm a new nurse and they're impressed by how quickly I learn and how well I fit in. Multiple patients have told me how